[x3d-public] x3d case correction tool

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 13:57:45 PST 2015

Thanks for the lower case table stylesheet at
http://www.web3d.org/x3d/stylesheets/X3dElementsAttributesLowerCaseTableConstruction.xslt

It is more manageable for a xslt language novice. I think the idea would be
to use it as a basis to come up with a lowercase/anycase to x3d camelCase
xslt replacement rule style sheet.

I think I would try first to generate separate lists for elements and
attributes which the style sheet effectively already does, in sequence.

I have xstlproc installed: http://xmlsoft.org/XSLT/xsltproc2.html . Let's
see how it works. What other processors are recommended ?

The use case for me is that it required quite a bit of repetitive effort to
get x3d output generated by the vrmath2.net editor such as

https://vrmath2.net/embed/?url=/sites/default/files/user/u342/x3d/helical_gears_smooth_opt.x3d

into a conforming format so that use of x3d-edit and xj3d would start to
make more sense. A lot of that effort was just to get the case correct.
Most of the remaining effort was to get rid of the nonconforming attributes
such as id. (Perhaps there is way to keep nonconforming attributes around
as comments).

So I was just envisioning a long, generated sed script with expressions
such as s/<elementname *>/<Elementname>/ or such and similar for closing
and empty tags, as well as attributes.

I think this would go a long way to reformat a nonconforming x3d document
towards conforming.

I may also give xmlsh at http://www.xmlsh.org/HomePage a try. It seems
appealing to me. (I just saw that it has some json support). Any experience
with it ?

Since html5 is (in general?) not case sensitive, prose on x3d vocabulary
within a html5 context would presumably be about what the recommended,
case-sensitive form is for reasons of validation, compatibility with xml
and other contexts, and general readability versus what the presumably
accepted but discouraged case-insensitive form is. Or is it something else
it should address ?

Andreas

--
Andreas Plesch