[x3d-public] X3D and Occuli

cbullard at hiwaay.net cbullard at hiwaay.net
Mon Oct 12 08:59:43 PDT 2015

Many thanks, Doug.  Good information.

There is only one campaign that will count: in olde speak, killer content.

As you say, the fact of consumer grade VR dedicated display systems is
THE change.  That there is an API and different format engines can be
gotten says those barriers are gone.

What is important to this list, and it is a rather old list as lists
go these days is that there is a deep experienced group of VR content
builders here.  For all the other things in the VR news, that is not
insignificant.

Hold up your hands:  how many of you have built a VRML97/X3D world?
How many of you have a library of 3D assets?  What do they do?

The lessons to me of the projects I did is not about good or bad VR.
We had to make that up as we went along because examples in the wild
were few and far between.  The lessons were about the power of doing
precisely that in groups of talented non-local world builders.  That
is, the fact of the hardware sets up the market.  The fact of projects
sets up the content.  As far as I can see, there are no barriers.
Just projects where you do as we did:  pick a target browser, write a
concept, write a narrative or other event system that organizes the
context, and start building.  Adjust as resources become available.
We got from jump to Tralee in 90 days with about 20 minutes left.  It
took me ten years on and off to build ROL.   Learned from both but...

You need a company that gets the money to pay the content builders.  No d'oh.

And X3D runs fine on a CD.  All compelling applications are not
social.  Taylor Swift got an Emmy.  The Nez is still running the
VideoRanch.

X3D has one issue and it isn't an issue of quality but focus:  funding
sources drove it toward engineering applications.  The bet on the
headset devices is entertainment.  My content runs on BS Contact fine.
  Some bugs to fix.  But the Instant Reality node set is very
intriguing because they did implement some of the wilder ideas about
building semi-autonomous objects with compelling self-generating
behaviors.  If it works.  Haven't tried.   They do a good job, BTW, of
tutorials.

len

Quoting doug sanden <highaspirations at hotmail.com>:

> [...]
>> get it. Sad that.
>>
>> 2. For those of us who are sitting on X3D content we took some effort
>> to develop and don't want to see it "abandoned", our reliable way
>> forward is to stick with the dates that stuck with us at the party:
>> Bit Management and Instant Reality. If there are others, I simply
>> didn't see them in my quick survey.
>>
>> 3. There is a "No Bad VR!" meme out there. I don't know what that
>> means but I suspect it is part of the market capture strategy (Wait
>> for OUR Content! It will be the Real Deal RSN!). Meh.
>>
>> 4. This is a market that is pushed by the headset but the real deal
>> is the desktop and the applications on it that can use the Rift or
>> other headset APIs as display devices. IOW, we are looking at the
>> same problems we have looked at since the 90s" multiple incompatible
>> platforms for which content development is a bet and an expensive one.
>> The camera capture devices seem to be getting the most attention a)
>> instant applications b) cheap content.
>>
>> 5. VR still makes people queasy.
>>
>> 6. Finally, X3D has more and better functionality for VR creation
>> than is actually necessary to get started. The focus on hardware and
>> the usual hype/greed curve drowns out that message.
>>
>> I'm not convinced this is quite the leap being hyped. It is progress
>> but not a revolution. It still comes down to the cost of developing
>> and maintaining scripted content.
>>
>> I am afraid as far as jobs are concerned, Cecile is right. Here in
>> the heart of darkness (DoD Big Sticks Land), it is all about sims
>> using Unreal and Unity to sell weapons platforms and to train
>> soldiers.
>>
>> That this is very expensive for the taxpayers is of no
>> consequence in an industry that invented the idea of market capture
>> (you should see the S1000D pubs systems that are all MS Word and
>> SharePoint until the ever deferrred final deliverable). I have to
>> wonder how Don justifies his work to his paymasters these days. A
>> topic for another time...
>>
>> Aside: the node tree in Instant Reality is amazing if half of them
>> work. That's a lot of toys in the toy box for those of us who like to
>> play with semi-autonomous VR objects. Cool!
>>
>> If any of that is wrong, please say so. I'd love to put The River Of
>> Life up where it can be viewed on these new display devices, but since
>> my ISP has given up on it's web hosting for the casual users, I had to
>> pull all of my VR and other web content off the original site. This
>> has become an expensive proposition for hobbyists and I get the
>> distinct impression from what I am reading in the VR blurbs we aren't
>> welcome in the brave new worlds.
>>
>> The tragedy is there is probably more original thinking, ideas and
>> chops in this community for creating VR than in all of Facebook.
>>
>> len
>>

>> Quoting Cecile Muller <newsletter at wildpeaks.fr>:
>>
>>> Hi again,
>>>

>>> 99% of Oculus apps use either Unity or Unreal, and that's the landscape
>>> for the forseeable future; the headset doesn't need to care about the