[x3d-public] X3D and Occuli

doug sanden highaspirations at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 12 07:37:49 PDT 2015

Len,
Yes - if you can come up with some promotional campaign for us, that will get X3D back in the HMD dialog.

On the other hand, I'm personally happy to let Oculus worry/fret about how they are going to scale up - and if they need DoD or Facebook that's fine with me. I think VR gurus are used to benefiting from the stereovision-hardware-de-jour.
(I used to work in photogrammetry - an even smaller niche application of stereovision - and we rode the waves of whatever hardware the VR community was using, often we would be the first app to buy dozens of a new VR hardware)

In several months you may be able to add freeWRL to the oculus capable club. I know their developers -slow volunteers wading through tomes of spaghetti C- are working on it.

If you have a landline and no-ip capable^ router at home, you can host at home with a free no-ip account:
http://www.noip.com/remote-access
-Free Dynamic DNS account
Disadvantage:
- you need to keep a computer running 24x7. Its better if its low power consuming.
- usually your upload speed on a home landline is throttled to be much slower than download, so those visiting your site will experience it as a slow server
But it can get you back in the self-hosting game and open up new worlds.

^no-ip capable router: it will have an option where you can enter no-ip provider and your no-ip url, and it will call the no-ip provider whenever it gets a new dynamic IP address.

I'm planning a 'content developers site' for web3ders, including hosting, tools, community forums, news: CRAB VR. However it needs to make 'pin money' to pay for good hosting server, I'm thinking of a monthly subscription via app-store.

-Doug