[x3d-public] Applicability of FillProperties to meshes

Alekseyev, Vsevolod (NIH/NIAID) [E] VAlekseyev at niaid.nih.gov
Tue Aug 9 08:35:44 PDT 2016

The FillProperties node is a child node of Appearance. It's described in section 12.4.2. The wording of the section suggests that this property is applicable to all mesh geometries, both 2D and 3D:

"The FillProperties node specifies additional properties to be applied to all polygonal areas on top of whatever appearance is specified by the other fields of the respectiveAppearance node."

None of the browsers that I know of support that. Not even Web3D's own Xj3D. If the intention was to have this node apply only to 2D polygonal geometries (e. g. Rectangle2D, TriangleSet2D), the standard should've said so. If the standard says so elsewhere, please point me in the right direction.

Even for Rectangle2D, the only browser that bothers to render it (InstantPlayer) doesn't respect the FillProperties, either.