[x3d-public] Towards an ACID-like test for X3D

Alekseyev, Vsevolod (NIH/NIAID) [E] VAlekseyev at niaid.nih.gov
Tue Aug 9 13:23:05 PDT 2016

For my latest X3D implementation, I've put together a scene that deliberately contains all the geometries under Geometry3D and Rendering modules. You can see the scene at http://www.jishop.com/temp/x3d/#Castle (click Download to get the X3D file).

It demonstrates the following geometry nodes:
 - Box
 - Cone
 - Cylinder
 - Sphere
 - ElevationGrid
 - Extrusion
 - IndexedFaceSet
 - IndexedTriangleFanSet (x2)
 - IndexedTriangleSet  (x2)
 - IndexedTriangleStripSet  (x2)
 - TriangleFanSet  (x2)
 - TriangleSet  (x2)
 - TriangleStripSet (x2)

The only widely available browser that renders it as intended is Cobweb, with InstantPlayer as a close second, some shading looking weird. X3DOM misses half the merlons, and misshades the CW ones. Xj3D badly misrenders the balcony extrusion (which is *not* pathological). Meshlab skips all primitives but Cylinder.

Triangle set geometries are present twice, once as CCW and once as CW, to test the correctness of vertex flipping.

The following polygonal geometries are *not* present in the file:

 - Disk2D
 - Rectangle2D
 - TriangleSet2D
 - Text