[x3d-public] Extrusions, take 3, Replacement with Cylinders, Cobweb needs to be updated in X3D Edit.

Leonard Daly Leonard.Daly at realism.com
Fri Feb 19 14:28:11 PST 2016

John,

You wrote that you do not want a line, but a cylinder.

  * Is there a reason you need 3D geometry?

  * If you do need 3D geometry, I think what would generally be useful
is a connecting geometry node that goes from the origin of one Transform
to the origin of another.

  * The disadvantage of a cylinder is the triangulation that is required
to produce a nice surface can vary depending on the perceived curvature
from your viewpoint. This may cause the need for additional resolution
of the triangle mesh. That can be expensive if the cylinder is animated.

Leonard Daly

>> On Feb 18, 2016, at 10:58 PM, Leonard Daly <Leonard.Daly at realism.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 2/14/2016 9:03 PM, John Carlson wrote:
>>> 3.  Leonard, can you render this in X3DOM?  I’m curious to know how to do this with Inline’s and not Proto’s.
>> Simple answer is No. The PROTOs use Scripts. There are no scripts in X3DOM.
>>
>> That does not mean it cannot be done. You have 4 sphere's randomly moving in a region. You have connected three of them to a "central" hub. The most difficult part is maintaining the connection between the spheres. Using a transform on a cylinder is really messy because you need to scale, rotate, and translation the center of each cylinder for each animation frame.
>>
>> A better way to go might be to modify the existing IndexedLineSet node to produce a line with a width. Then you are just transforming the end points of a 2-point line. Note that if you arrange the Transforms properly the "hub" sphere is always at the origin of the hierarchy that contains the 4 spheres and cylinders.
> I do not want a line, I want a cylinder or extrusion—think Tinker Toys.  I think what you are saying is there’s a good use case for Extrusion, or a different definition of Cylinder?  That is all I’ve been asking for all along...
>
> There may not be a ‘hub’ in the final product.
>
> Thanks,

*Leonard Daly*
3D Systems & Cloud Consultant
X3D Co-Chair on Sabbatical