[x3d-public] Extrusions, take 3, Replacement with Cylinders, Cobweb needs to be updated in X3D Edit.

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 15:44:05 PST 2016

> On Feb 19, 2016, at 5:28 PM, Leonard Daly <Leonard.Daly at realism.com> wrote:
>
> John,
>
> You wrote that you do not want a line, but a cylinder.
>
>  * Is there a reason you need 3D geometry?

If I were to be showing molecules, would you be arguing for 2D geometry? If I were trying to show the effects of an N-body problem would you be arguing 2D geometry?  I don’t *need* anything in 3D.  Do we even *need* computers?  So obviously no one should code for it.  Sorry for trying to do something cool in a mix of declarative 3D and imperative languages.  I will go play with three.js and PlayCanvas.  At least I can actually modify most of my shader uniforms in PlayCanvas.

>  * If you do need 3D geometry, I think what would generally be useful is a connecting geometry node that goes from the origin of one Transform to the origin of another.

Yes, I believe this is what doug sanden essentially provided us.  You can put any geometry you like in there, and it will stretch it between two nodes.
I am just trying to use *something* adequately supported in X3D V4. If I have to use something in the CAD profile, that would work too, as long as it works in my X3D player.

>  * The disadvantage of a cylinder is the triangulation that is required to produce a nice surface can vary depending on the perceived curvature from your viewpoint. This may cause the need for additional resolution of the triangle mesh. That can be expensive if the cylinder is animated.

So basically, you’re throwing out Extrusion, and now Cylinder,  what next?  Is it okay to use Box for this?   I guess what you’re trying to do is provide a high quality standard.  I’m trying to produce an easy to use and understand standard.  I don’t need 60fps…that’s where I’ll take the performance hit.

Essentially, what I think you’re advocating is using IFS' and doing all the mesh animation and ultimately geometry in shaders.  I agree this is a good approach.  Let’s make it happen.  How do we take current declarative technology and produce vertex and geometry shaders?