[x3d-public] PROTO Usefulness Question

Leonard Daly Leonard.Daly at realism.com
Wed Feb 24 10:02:49 PST 2016

I asked this before but I don't think I got any answers. This is a
slight rephrase of the question to help make it clearer.

I am looking for examples of PROTOs (either internal or external) that are
1) non-trivial
2) do not use one or more Script nodes

By (1) I mean something that does something useful that is not easy to
do without using a PROTO. Something like the Universal Media PROTOs
(e.g.,
http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/Basic/UniversalMediaMaterials/_pages/page02.html)
provide a lot of convenience to the X3D developer, but each one just
defines a Material node with specific characteristics.

A PROTO that is used repeated in a scene providing a critical feature
might be an example of something that meets (1).

I am asking this to determine if it is necessary or useful to have a
PROTO expander (sort-of like a MACRO). The expander would not support
Script nodes. If there are no examples to this question, then it
indicates that PROTOs need Script node(s). Either way, this has an
impact on the design of V4.

--
*Leonard Daly*
3D Systems & Cloud Consultant