[x3d-public] Random point within a bounding box? On a globe? Proto library?

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Wed Jan 27 18:36:09 PST 2016

On 1/27/2016 11:15 AM, John Carlson wrote:
> Is there a sensor/script/proto that will produce a random SFVec3f in a bounding box or produce a random point out of a set of geopoints on a globe (say I wanted to show air travel at random between cities).
>
> I can start working on them if no one has an example.

Check out

	http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/Basic/course/

	Create VRML From String Random Boxes
	http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/Basic/course/CreateVrmlFromStringRandomBoxes.x3d
	http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/Basic/course/CreateVrmlFromStringRandomBoxes.html

	Create X3D From String Random Spheres
	http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/Basic/course/CreateX3DFromStringRandomSpheres.x3d
	http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/Basic/course/CreateX3DFromStringRandomSpheres.html

When you click on the text in the scene, the boxes/spheres have new random locations computed.

> Does it make sense to collect these library protos which aren’t part of the standard somewhere?  On source forge?   Does someone want to become naming czar?  Is this being done?  Don?

There are many prototypes sprinkled through the X3D Examples.  Just searched for "<ProtoDeclare " there, found 1316 prototypes in 330 files, out of 3864 total X3D scenes.  (Gee maybe protos work after all...)

Contributions are welcome.  All of the public X3D Examples archives are unrestricted open source.  NPS recently shifted our BSD-style license for examples in the org.web3d tree to Web3D Consortium, thanks to Board of Directors review and approval.

	http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/X3dResources.html#Examples
	http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/X3dResources.html#license
	http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/license.html
	http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/license.txt