[x3d-public] Minutes of the X3D WG Meeting 1st June 2016 > MIME-type (corrected)

Leonard Daly Leonard.Daly at realism.com
Fri Jun 17 16:58:57 PDT 2016

Re: use of .zip files

As Don points out, there may be a directory (or more) plus lots of
files. It would then be necessary for the browser (perhaps null if
stand-alone app) + X3D application (either JavaScript or plug in) to
unzip and correctly store the component pieces. It would also be
necessary for the browser to identify all external from the initial X3D
file requests and properly change the reference to the stored file. This
would get really difficult if a Script node was modifying a string
pointing to an external file.

This is something that was discussed over a decade ago. At that time,
the WG decided to not try to handle that because of that difficulty.
Browsers can handle compressed (i.e., gzipped) files. This is done
automatically with the server. Handling a ZIP file is (a lot) more
problematic.

Leonard Daly

*Leonard Daly*
3D Systems & Cloud Consultant