[x3d-public] Layering/Layout

doug sanden highaspirations at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 11 06:58:54 PST 2016

I thought Layering/Layout could have been up one level.
-Doug

more..
I implement Layering/Layout. I thought it was straining too hard to be integrated into regular scenery. Except still needing IMPORT/EXPORT. (for freewrl I found it didn't need a separate executionContext/Inline for each layer, so Inline+IMPORT/EXPORT are optional)

A fuzzy idea is to keep Layout separate from the scene, for HUD (heads-up display ie menu.dashboard):
<X3D>
<Hud url='"xxx"'/>
<Scene>
</Scene>
</X3D>
This would free those Layout/Hud nodes from needing to be generally scenegraph usable/friendly/integrated.

Or for Layering:
<X3D>
<Scene DEF='Scene1'>
</Scene>
<Scene DEF='Scene2'>
</Scene>
</X3D>
with layering in order of listing, and both scene and hud is-a layer: Scene:Layer, Hud:Layer

But how would/could/should routes work - how to apply HUD choices/settings to the scene? IMPORT/EXPORT as the layering component specifies, or an X3D level of ROUTE which could route between scenes/execution context/layers like/instead-of IMPORT/EXPORT:
<X3D>
<Hud DEF='hud1' url='"xxx"'/>
<Scene DEF='scene1'>
</Scene>
<ROUTE fromLayer='Hud' fromNode='menu1' fromField='menuChoice1 toLayer='scene1' toNode='..../>
</X3D>

more..
One reason to want the layout/hud to still be subjectable to 3D transformation at some level:  for HMD (head mounted display) menus need to be pinnned in 3D space (or pan in 2D) as the user moves their head so the center + of the view is over a menu item. How to accommodate that if Layout/Hud is separated from viewpoint (in different Layers/executionContexts)?

more..
reminds me of Geo Nodes which -like KML- only makes sense at the root level.