[x3d-public] [h-anim] Purpose of X3Dng -- Animation (of humanoid models)

Joe D Williams joedwil at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 1 11:50:47 PDT 2016

>>> ng == next generation

Also, Leonard, you have mentioned HAnim and the idea that X3D needs
some general animation features, So with that in mind, here is
something. If we really decided that the objective is to recast the
"HAnim" interfaces into a more general style of naming structures and
interfaces, then see what follows. No new names for anything X3D
HAnim, just how we might move some HAnim-specific details in order to
refocus the HAnim elements towards general skeleton-based and
indexed-mesh based animations.

Edit Part 1 to cover
General Skeletal and Mesh Animation

Warning. This outline shows Part 1 oriented toward describing general
skeleton and mesh animation rather than the describing a realistic
human character. Annex A and B are beefed up to cover all aspects of
he H--Anim standardized Humanoid.
* However, the top level container of the character model "Humanoid"
is still used. Using any name, this level generally serves as a
convenient grouping purpose for many projects.
* The word 'skeleton' is used because that serves as a convenient name
for the concept of a set of organized structures that serve as the
basis for the general style of skeletal animation.
* Also, the name "Joint" is preserved since it is a common name for
the functionality of a device that can be represented with a basic
Transform and serve as a the primary animation element in a
hierarchy - a Joint can parent a Joint.
* We keep Segment, because in this model we do not use geometry as a
child of Joint, but instead recommend that for a Joint that needs
individual geometries to represent connecting or terminating features,
please use a child Segment and put the geometries there.
* Then why leave out Site? If Sensor or Viewpoint or ontology, or
general instrumentation location, put each in an individual child Site
node of the appropriate Segment.
* The name Displacer, is in there because it is a good general name
for what it does.
* Also, when H-Anim is adopted by X3D, then the the string HAnim is
prepended to the object name.

Annex A and B show a complete definition for a 'standard' Humanoid
using a realisltic articulated skeleton
The skeleton hierachy and names of animation interfaces are normative.
Produces a 'standard' skeleton based on 'nominal' non-normative
CAESAR-based Humanoid Model.

Annex A documents the standard five-level
HAnim LOA concept showing the standard
Joint and Segment hierarchies.

Annex B documents the standard Site locations
for standard surface features and other
locations of interest in skeleton-space.

Somewhere:
* Example X3D user code sets supporting Part 1
covers the Humanoid LOA concept.
* skeleton with segment geometry
* skeleton with skin geometry
* Displacer operation

Terms:

H-space - Humanoid space
Base 0 0 0 for Humanoid

s1-space - skeleton space
root animated relative to 0 0 0 H-space

j-space - Joint center rotation space
relative to 0 0 0 skeleton space
animated according to skeleton hierarchy

s3-space - Segment space
relative to Joint center space
animated according to Joint-space

s4-space - Site space
relative to Segment space
animated according to Segment-space

s2 - skin space
relative to 0 0 0 skeleton space
animated according to skeleton space

Best if H=j=s1=s2=s3=s4=everything same coordinate system
No transform or scale needed to locate parts.

mesh - a set of vertices of an indexed geometry.
       For Displacer, possibly a subset of a mesh
       For skin, continous mesh generally intended to cover the
skeleton

Structure
 hierarchy
  Joint-Segment-Site-etc...

skeletal animation interfaces
* Humanoid -
  Base transformation in local coordinates.
  Basic Humanoid (H)-space
  control position, rotation of H-space

* root -
  base transformation for complete skeleton model
  Skeleton-space relative to H-space
  control skeleton in H-space
  position, rotation

* Joint -
  controlled by parent hierarchy
  control child hierarchy and skin
  rotation

* Segment -
  child hierarchy of Joint
  controlled by parent hierarchy

* SIte-
  child hierarchy of Segment
  controlled by parent Segment

HAnim Nodes
* Humanoid - container for skeleton and skin
* Joint - name of the skeletal animation interface.
* Segment - name of a connecting feature
* Site - name of an internal or external feature point
* Displacer - general mesh animation tool

HAnim fields
*  skeleton - holds skeleton hierarchy
*  skin - holds skin mesh

* skeleton-skin animation binding
  mesh vertex to Joint(s)
* Displacer animation binding
 mesh vertex to Displacer
 Displacer to animation driver
 DIsplacer animation additive to skeleton-skin animation

 Detailed Humanoid animation interfaces.
Edit Annex A and B:

A. Humanoid Levels of Articulation
Concepts
CAESAR-space Humanoid
Joint and Segment LOA Hierarchies.

B. Humanoid Feature Points
Concepts
CAESAR-space Humanoid
Site and Surface feature hierarchies

In a way this really would help to consolidate the real
standards-track parts of this. Mainly, which is to define a 'standard'
humanoid in order to share 'standard' animations.

We still need a 'standard' skin for each LOA.

Thanks and Best,
JOe