[x3d-public] Essential Characteristics of X3D

doug sanden highaspirations at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 19 09:07:07 PST 2016

OK Yves, starting to sink in. Thanks for repeating your Oct 13 suggestion.
What you're saying is for $138 swiss francs, and a bit of paper work, CalergaVR could conform to web3d standards by defining and registering its profile.
Q. is there a subtle difference between a standard, and an specific 'application interface' (is there a better term)?
- lets say a 'standard' means anyone can implement the standard. So if you register the CalergaVR profile, I could write a browser that conforms to the CalergaVR profile and you would have no recourse in the courts to block my effort as stealing proprietary intellectual property
- an 'application interface' can be proprietary. You can block me insofar as it's not part of a standard
And if there is this difference then I suspect the profile registration process in the web3d specs is for the 'standard'.
Q. are you proposing these x- or x/ profiles would be standards, or proprietary, or could/should there be both?