[x3d-public] Essential Characteristics of X3D

Yves Piguet yves.piguet at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 10:16:40 PST 2016

> On 19 Nov 2016, at 18:07, doug sanden <highaspirations at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> OK Yves, starting to sink in. Thanks for repeating your Oct 13 suggestion.
> What you're saying is for $138 swiss francs, and a bit of paper work, CalergaVR could conform to web3d standards by defining and registering its profile.

Not sure it would be so easy, I haven't read ISO/IEC 9973. I don't know if a registration request is guaranteed to be accepted if the paperwork is done properly, and if it takes weeks, months or years. I wouldn't be surprised if it costs much more.

> Q. is there a subtle difference between a standard, and an specific 'application interface' (is there a better term)?
> - lets say a 'standard' means anyone can implement the standard. So if you register the CalergaVR profile, I could write a browser that conforms to the CalergaVR profile and you would have no recourse in the courts to block my effort as stealing proprietary intellectual property

Calerga VR's extensions are roughly what I've suggested here. I do it in good faith with the hope it can be useful to me (because of other's feedback) as well as to others if they're convinced and implement them. It would be great also for Calerga VR if extensions like field expressions are adopted widely, and I certainly won't sue anyone for that. It's also obvious to me that some of the things I consider useful, such as my NumberInput node, won't be welcome.

> - an 'application interface' can be proprietary.

Subject to fair use, as I understand the Oracle vs. Google outcome.

> You can block me insofar as it's not part of a standard

I could probably try, at least.

> And if there is this difference then I suspect the profile registration process in the web3d specs is for the 'standard'.

Maybe. I don't know the licensing policy of ISO.

> Q. are you proposing these x- or x/ profiles would be standards, or proprietary, or could/should there be both?

They would be reserved for custom profiles for the owner of the corresponding domain name, without further registration, like namespaces in Java.

By "standard" do you mean "open"? Could be both open or proprietary, whatever the domain name owner decides. I'm not fond of proprietary formats.

Thanks,

Yves