[x3d-public] Essential Characteristics of X3D

tom sparks tom_a_sparks at yahoo.com.au
Mon Nov 21 02:29:00 PST 2016

On 19/11/16 13:26, Leonard Daly wrote:

> Please read this all of the way through before commenting.
>
> There is lots of interest in providing for the display of 3D data in
> the browser. This includes both "flat" 3D (3D monoscopic displayed)
> and stereoscopic  displays (aka VR or immersive). Libraries such as
> X3DOM, Cobweb, THREE.js, and Babylon.js have pretty much addressed
> flat 3D.
>
> There are several active efforts to address the VR display. All of the
> work supports both flat & VR displays. Some of the efforts are
> procedural (e.g., WebVR, THREE, etc.) and others are declarative
> (e.g., X3D, A-Frame).
>
> The larger community is beginning to realize the need for a single
> declarative means for handling the display, animation, and interaction
> of 3D content. Most of the community is not a member of the
> Consortium, and many are not familiar with X3D (in any form). There
> already is a proposed path that starts with A-Frame. The discussions
> as to what the declarative language will look like and how it will
> work will be extensive and probably contentious (at least at times).
> There are a lot of very large players (Google, especially) involved so
> it is important to resolve difficult issues first before people (and
> organizations) become too entrenched.
>
> All of that was introduction to the main point: What do you (meaning
> the reader) think are the essential characteristics of X3D when
> running in an HTML page? I know that the answer is not everything
> because (1) as a standard, X3D does not run in the web page; (2) X3D
> supports multiple encodings, some of which are not HTML compatible
> (e.g., binary ones); (3) X3D has Profiles and Components and no
> browser supports all Profiles and Components. There are several other
> reasons that the answer is not everything, so that doesn't count.
>
> I can think of several things that are important. I'm not sure if
> these are essential, or how to quantify or better state them
>
> 1) long-lasting (read and display 20 year old stuff)
> 2) extensible
>
> Other items that might be important to people
> 3) modeling
> 4) feature-rich (at least in some areas)
> 5) platform-neutral
> 6) volume displays (not just surfaces)
>
> I am looking for a collection of items that are so important to X3D
> that if removed, you would not have X3D, and when present you would
> recognize it as X3D or at least a close relative. I would expect the
> list to vary from person to person, but I also expect some
> characteristics to be present in many people's list. The items on your
> list are likely to reflect your personal interest and work with X3D
> and other 3D content.
>

> --
> *Leonard Daly*
> 3D Systems & Cloud Consultant
> LA ACM SIGGRAPH Chair
> President, Daly Realism - /Creating the Future/

X3Dom and apot (POPbuffer) make upload 3d model to the web easy
but the X3D standard has always bugged me ( I don't remember if it was
lack of user friendly tools, the runtime engines, lack of externProto
resources, unsuitable LODs nodes)
I have played with three.js ( I updated quadtree sphere to three.js
v78), I find the work been done using three.js inspiring, but for me I
hate the writing 100+ lines of coding just do something that I get free
in X3Dom
on my wishlist is to do virtual world using Web3D technology , (I
started with cult3D, looked at shout3D), but X3D is missing what I need :(