[x3d-public] Purpose of X3D

Joe D Williams joedwil at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 7 07:37:52 PDT 2016

Hi Doug,

> For example if I propose a change to ...

As I understand how the process works, you would want to propose the
feature to the x3d-public and at some point directly to the X3D
working Group, where we could get member concensus to incorporate the
idea. Then an existing or new working group would produce a consensus
Working Draft that described changes and additions to the standard,
and at least one (open preferred) runnng example. Those deliverables
would be examined by the X3D WG and when consensus agreement is
reached the proposal would be forwarded to the BOD for approval.

With approval of the bod the originators or Web3D editor(s) would
upgrade the Working Draft to what is called a Commitee Draft (CD) and
would then apply to ISO to create a project with a description and
timetable accompanied by the Committee Draft (CD). The ISO member
nations and member organizations (of which Web3D is one) would review
the proposal and CD text and art then formally submit their comments
and vote to approve or disaprove the concept.

If CD is approved for advancement, then all comments are incorporated
and new documentation is fully integrated into the standard to create
the next draft to be considered. This is called the Draft
International Standard (DIS) which is again is passed from the
originating wg to the X3D wg, then to the Bod for approval. Now we
must also examine second and subsequent implementations actually
running in multiple X3D tools. If approved again by Web3D, the DIS is
submitted to ISO and the members again provide comments and a vote to
go ahead or drop.

The comments from DIS are incorporated into what should be the final
product, called FDIS Final Draft International Standard. This is again
run through the web3d approval process (originating wg, X3D wg, and
bod) and resubmitted to ISO. If DIS comments have been apropriately
dealt with, then the document should get to final status as IS,
International Standard.

So yes it is complex and tedious dealing with general and technical
inputs and comments from a wide range of interested parties over what
might be a long period of time but that is also what keeps the
standard more or less immune to manipulation and false paths,

Thanks and Best,
Joe