[x3d-public] [x3d] Purpose of X3D: Cobweb on Edge

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Fri Oct 7 09:02:12 PDT 2016

Had a misunderstanding earlier this week - Cobweb on "Microsoft Edge" means Windows 10, not earlier Windows running Internet Explorer 11 in "Edge mode".  Screenshot attached.

	http://titania.create3000.de/cobweb

Differences may have more to do with Javascript 6 feature support than 3D graphics compatibility.  The X3D Examples now make it easy to show X3DOM running fine in all HTML browsers, with Cobweb coverage getting closer and closer.

Of course IE problems solve themselves over time, naturally but there are a LOT of platforms which are IE-only so somebody may want to help Holger with that big opportunity now.

Step by step we are deploying everywhere.  Legacy Windows with Internet Explorer is partially conquered, everything else just works.

Useful metric for all our work:  "assume success, then what?"  Welcome to the new playing field.

On 10/6/2016 2:43 PM, John Richardson wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Cobweb has problems with IE11 related to certain of the examples. Details have been forwarded to Holger…J…J
>
> Firefox seems OK on Windows 7 Professional.
>
> Cobweb will not work with Safari on Macintosh El Capitan.
>
> The X3DOM examples will load in Safari, at least so far…J…J
>
> John “double smiley” Richardson

anywhere we want, of course.

I'm heading for Open Web Platform (OWP) without losing any of the places we've been before.  First law of engineering: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

> Frankly, since cobweb supports prototypes, scripts, vrml, and it seems Dom interactions, we should start supporting cobweb heavily.

agreed John - support for X3D Immersive Profile (aka VRML97 capabilities) was tipping point to integrate Cobweb as native viewing mode for all X3D example archives (rather than plugin).  Well worth the work.

It will be interesting to see if the X3DOM community resumes work on adding support for essential X3D nodes and components.  Much potential progress has been dormant for over a year.  Many "lessons learned" appear to be sitting on the table.

On 10/6/2016 7:57 PM, John Carlson wrote:
> Considering we only used to be able to get a single X3D browser on some platforms, I think cobweb's progress has been amazing.

Amen brother!