[x3d-public] Purpose of X3D

Joe D Williams joedwil at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 7 13:36:46 PDT 2016

> What's the feeling of people involved with X3D ISO standardization?

total Joy. Realtime interactive event-driven 3D everywhere on the WWW.
Lots of stuff is moving and deeper application areas and more complete
implementations of X3D are added daily.

Well, by the definition I gave, X3DOM is a candidate implementation,
as are several others. Currently the X3D WG is contemplating the
candidates and the issues and figure out how to and what to define in
the final Web3D X3D ISOetc, and W3C submissions. Or, I should say
initial CD submission. As far as I know the X3D wg has daily
responsibility for Working Draft and is probably early in the Working
Draft stage.  X3D may have what might be
considered lots of source material to serve as elements of Working
Draft inputs with multiple independent free and open implementations.

Right now to me there seems to be highly dependent use of javascript
libraries and as we all know from past, sooner of later we will want
some good stuffs that X3D needs for performance built directly into
the host html browser. We got a big bag of that in Webgl:), SVG and
CSS, not to mention the greatly superior ecmascript engines and
implementations, and other html web browser security and other feature
support improvements

For example, we don't want to have to depend upon html script and DOM
to compute several interpolators, but instead have the compute code
native to
the html browser. I think this follows the idea of the way Webgl is
now 'native' to the html web browser. Further along, how important is
it to preserve the idea of timestamps and event cascade of X3D, or can
we devise an ordered event system suitable for realistic hifi realtime
simulations from features of the DOM, or do we really need something
more from the
(X)HTML DOM? And, of course we want a very straightforward lossless
transformation from what we have now to what can runs inside <x3d> ...
</x3d>.

> My next question would be about the kinds of "proposals" I've made

Technically, most likely nobody will push proposals forward except
you. If what you have could be aimed at a specifiic working group like
CAD, HAnim, Medical, Geo then aim at that group. Join the list and
figure out how to find application interest, then show your stuff. If
this is something X3D can use, then your wg will push to X3D wg and
Bod and start a project. Excuse me if I say, then the grind starts,
Your prime responsibility is wide adoption. So, you wish to get the
widest range of implementions from most advanced commercial (yes, the
aim may be to add this to al BS, Ocatga, and any ohers . Regardless,
it is usually wise to get teh. Then you would get consensus for draft,
resources, etc.

talk to