[x3d-public] minecraft to X3dom

tom sparks tom_a_sparks at yahoo.com.au
Sat Oct 8 10:55:43 PDT 2016

thanks I almost missed the email,

I did not create blockmodel, it was created to 3D print minecraft scenes
( http://www.printcraft.org/ )

--soruce code--cut here---

#!/usr/bin/env python2
from blockmodel import BlockModel

model = BlockModel.from_schematic_file("./test.schematic", max_size=None)
model.save_as_x3d("./test.x3d")

---cut here------

the project has stalled:
* texture improvement: rewrite blockmodel to use multiple textures maps
* X3D/X3Dom LODing: no portal support[1]
* no source code for generating a cell-and-portal graph without using a
bsp tree[2][3]
* I was think about "go big or go home" after I saw this paper[4] and
remembering  "Manhattancraft" and  "Minecrafting with OS OpenData"[5]

[1] see web3d 2004 "A Vrml97-X3D Extension for Massive Scenery
Management in Virtual Worlds" by Jean-Eudes Marvie and Kadi Bouatouch

[2] "Breaking the Walls: Scene Partitioning and Portal Creation" by Alon
Lerner, Yiorgos Chrysanthou and Daniel Cohen-Or
[3] Denis Haumont, Olivier Debeir, François X. Sillion. Volumetric
Cell-and-Portal Generation.
Computer Graphics Forum, 2003, Grenade, Spain. Blackwell Publishers,
3-22, pp.303 – 312,
2003, EUROGRAPHICS Conference Proceedings. <inria-00510188>

[4] "Streaming and Synchronization of Multi-User Worlds Through HTTP/1.1"
by Jean-Eudes Marvie, Pascal Gautron, Pascal Lecocq, Olivier Mocquard
and François Gérard

[5]
https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/innovate/developers/minecraft-map-britain.html