[x3d-public] What is H-Anim?

Leonard Daly Leonard.Daly at realism.com
Thu Oct 13 10:39:58 PDT 2016

 From reading H-Anim in detail (especially Part 1), it appears to me
that it is primarily doing two things

1) Defining animation with deformable skin
2) Define bone definition and naming for humanoids. I noted that
humanoids (as defined in the spec 4.2.1) are not required to have the
normal human-like appendages (1 head, 2 arms, 2 legs)
[http://www.web3d.org/documents/specifications/19774-1/V2.0/HAnim/concepts.html#HAnimFiguresOverview]

If X3D were to included deformable skin animation as an intrinsic part
of the X3D specification, would #1 be required?

If not, that leaves #2. It seems to me that this section is optional
based on references in the document to "are common", "generally
categorize", "may have", "model specific". It seems that if one is
modeling a human (not humanoid), then this structure should be used; but
if not a human, the the variations are endless.

I think the document needs an improved focus and close work with X3D WG
to determine if deformable skin animation is to be included in a future
version of X3D.

--
*Leonard Daly*
3D Systems & Cloud Consultant