[x3d-public] ProtoDeclarations via SAI ?

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 16:07:40 PDT 2016

> Message: 3
> Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2016 21:00:28 +0000
> From: doug sanden <highaspirations at hotmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [x3d-public] ProtoDeclarations via SAI ?
BN6PR14MB1778C950E83D17BD6769581AB6A80 at BN6PR14MB1778.namprd14.prod.outlook.com

> Doesn't look promising.
> I find the javascript SAI doc easier to read.
> http://www.web3d.org/documents/specifications/19777-1/V3.3/index.html
> x no way to create a protodeclare that I can see
> x even if you created a blank one, doesn't look like there's a way to
create fields and add them
> Q. how do scene design tools do it?
> H:  through a modified design-time SAI
> -Doug

Ok, I think this is then not a priority.

There may be DOM strategies to achieve functionality similar to
ProtoDeclare and ProtoInstance such as templating engines.

Should it be a design goal of the SAI standard to actually enable a fully
featured scene authoring tool which only uses SAI methods ?

Andreas

> Subject: [x3d-public] ProtoDeclarations via SAI ?
>
> I am working on adding Proto support for cobweb_dom. While
adding/modifying ProtoInstances via the DOM is very useful (and seemingly
working in a dev. branch), I am unsure about the possibility of
adding/modifying(?) ProtoDeclarations via the DOM.

http://www.web3d.org/documents/specifications/19775-2/V3.3/Part02/servRef.html#ProtoDeclarationHandling

http://www.web3d.org/documents/specifications/19777-1/V3.3/Part1/functions.html#t-ExecutionContextProperties

http://www.web3d.org/documents/specifications/19777-1/V3.3/Part1/functions.html#PrototypeServices

> says that ProtoDeclarations cannot be instantiated (by SAI methods).
>
> Does that mean it should not be possible to add/update ProtoDeclarations
within a scene by an x3d script ? Is there an example script somewhere ?
All ProtoDeclarations a scene can ever expect to use should be available
when the scene is first loaded by the x3d browser ?

> If not, it probably means that cobweb_dom should not try to do that as
well (although it may be possible).

> Any feedback welcome,
>
> -Andreas
>
> --
> Andreas Plesch
> 39 Barbara Rd.
> Waltham, MA 02453

BN6PR14MB177807D79E386ADB2AD5CF2DB6A80 at BN6PR14MB1778.namprd14.prod.outlook.com

> freewrl stores its protoDeclares and externProtoDeclares in binary proto
(aka broto) form - almost the same as a protoInstance, except with a flag
saying its 'not live' and with any contained protoInstances 'shallow
copied' meaning they have no body.
> ProtoDeclare name=A
> Body {
>   ProtoInsance name=B Body { -nada / blank / ziltch- }
> }
> }
> Then when instancing an A, the body for contained instance name= B is
filled in / deepened.
> That keeps declares light with lazy/delayed recursive instancing.
> That also implies if new SAI functions are designed for hacking Instances
or Declares, they would work on either/both.
> One idea is for browsers to have a built in 'stub' protodeclare, and a
function to create it with a new name=, and add to the list of
protodeclares.