[x3d-public] [h-anim] HAnim LOA3 with 390 pr skin w and w/o Ext Proto

Joe D Williams joedwil at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 9 12:48:05 PDT 2016

> Instant Reality and H3DViewer appear to be almost working, I think
> the body is animating but the geometry is solid black.

Thanks, Don.

skin is
<Material diffuseColor='0.3 0.3 0.6' emissiveColor='0.3 0.3 0.3'/>
very dim, so maybe needs more light?

I think Instant and H3DViewer, in the case of HAnim skin as far as I
have tested, don't generate a default texture map for the IFS I use
for the skin. Since the standard says the the browser will
auomatically generate texture coordinates for an IFS, I depend on that
and BSContact does it. I haven;t 'fixed' it with the obvious step of
generating a simple texture mapping which could be just using the x
and y pairs from the skin points.

An argument for lack of automatic texcoord generation for an hanim
skin is that generallly, the image mapping for a humanoid is hard
because the mapping must be done in a very detailed way to provide for
the fact that the 2D image must be precisly wrapped around a 3D
feature. So, the image texture may be very complex an even look very
distorted in 2D. The detailed texture mapping for a typical skin may
be almost as detailed and hard to perfect and closely guarded as the
joint to vertex binding for skin animation. Nonetheless, I wanted to
experiment with automagic mapping provided by the spec for an IFS and
see what might happen.

Anyway, the lack of 'manual' texcoord mapping, or use of a texcoord
generator. is the reason this only really works in BSContact. The last
time I tried Instant, the texture is not bound to the skin so it would
remain fixed in space while the skin was animated through it. Octaga,
at my last test long ago when I could run Octaga, did not support the
skin field with joint to vertex bindings, so while any skeletal
features present (none in this example) would animate, the skin did
not move.

Thanks Again and All Best,
Joe