[x3d-public] Fitness of X3D for 3D Printing?

patola at makerlinux.com.br patola at makerlinux.com.br
Wed Sep 21 08:28:17 PDT 2016

First, thank you all for your responses. I became even more
enthusiastic about X3D after I took knowledge of the cura import plugin,
this is just a few days after I myself submitted a small contribution to
cure. I subscribed to the PR immediately. I saw that it was already
accepted and merged, and I will be testing it as soon as I get the
compiled version.

I knew that Cura is internally based in triangles, I
understand that this applies to all 3D Printing slicers on the market
currently, and I do not think the NURBS support is something highly
demanded now, but I am quite convinced that it will be in the near
future. There is also some discussion about support of ARCs - and most
firmware like marlin and repetier already support the gcode arc commands
(G2 and G3). The slicers that support it seem to be using the arc
commands from "inferring" the arcs from the triangles -- Simplify3D was
doing that before version 3.0 but dropped this feature because it caused
problems. However I think a comeback is likely, because the artifacts
caused by interpolation and/or approximation doing in the modeller or
the slicer are becoming more evident as the techniques for 3d printing
improve.

I also understand that Blender has a relatively weak NURBS
support, as in having very few tools to deal with it - I took a few days
to learn how to close a single NURBS cylinder - but I also think that it
is because it is not very used, not very needed, and that will change as
elsewhere in the 3D printing stack "real curves" are needed. I might
even try experimenting with the current x3d import/export plugin to add
the nurbs components. As far as I saw, it is a straightforward 1-to-1
mapping.

BTW, there is something else I could still not find on the
X3D standard. 3MF has a slice extension that in practice allows to embed
the gcode, or x3g [makerbot format], or slicing code equivalent in the
file. Is it possible to extend X3D to support slicing information too?
Furthermore, what would be the most convenient metadata to designate
special types of material, like support material (that might need to be
dissolvable, or coarser, or discarded altogether depending on the 3d
printing technology)?

Thanks again!

Cláudio Sampaio - MakerLinux