[x3d-public] view3dscene cannot open file in c:/Users/... (was: MFString quoting)

Michalis Kamburelis michalis.kambi at gmail.com
Thu Apr 27 06:34:01 PDT 2017

> I often have this suspicion when there are issues with windows filepaths in software that operates across several platforms -- is there an issue
> with the "\" escaping as it is applied to strings in C-based languages. Specifically, in your case, C:\Users\don\Desktop\test_mfstring_quotes.x3d ,
> is the \t pair being interpreted as a single tab (ascii 9) character. . Quick test, rename your file to C:\Users\don\Desktop\kest_mfstring_quotes.x3d

I'm pretty sure it isn't the case, because the error message from view3dscene:

- Displays the filename, not how it's encoded in C,

- And the source code of Castle Game Engine and view3dscene is using
modern Object Pascal, in which the backslash has no special meaning
inside a string :) In Pascal, you enclose a string in apostrophes, and
the only special character is an apostrophe. (To have a literal
apostrophe inside a string, you just write two apostrophes.)

Regards,
Michalis