[x3d-public] view3dscene cannot open file in c:/Users/... (was: MFString quoting)

Michalis Kamburelis michalis.kambi at gmail.com
Thu Apr 27 10:46:12 PDT 2017

> On 4/27/2017 5:00 AM, Vincent Marchetti wrote:
>>
>> I often have this suspicion when there are issues with windows filepaths
>> in software that operates across several platforms -- is there an issue
>> with the "\" escaping as it is applied to strings in C-based languages.
>> Specifically, in your case, C:\Users\don\Desktop\test_mfstring_quotes.x3d ,
>> is the \t pair being interpreted as a single tab (ascii 9) character. .
>> Quick test, rename your file to
>> C:\Users\don\Desktop\kest_mfstring_quotes.x3d
>>
>> Vince Marchetti
>

> wow that worked!! desktop model loads fine now in view3dscene.

Wow, I am truly baffled. Are you sure that the rename test->kest
helped, not something else? This really should not help --- "\t" isn't
anything special for view3dscene code, and I doubt that WinAPI has so
serious bug:)

Also, the "\t" would be troublesome in any directory, not just in desktop...

Maybe the very fact of copying / renaming the file back and forth
desktop helped? Can you rename it back to "test_xxx" and check now
does it still fail?

Regards,
Michalis