[x3d-public] Unity X3D exporter

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Tue Jan 10 06:00:43 PST 2017

Here is additional helpful and encouraging information from Tobias about this important capability, forwarded with permission.  Thanks!  8)

	https://github.com/thefranke/unityx3d

	https://twitter.com/Web3DConsortium/status/612285325403123712

On 1/9/2017 8:13 AM, Tobias Alexander Franke wrote:
> Well, it's functional enough to export static scenes (with lightmaps). I've tested quite large ones, and the script does the job quite well. I think Nick has also used it a couple of times already. For people who want to do this the exporter is good to go.
>
> Any dynamic behavior (i.e., stuff that could be converted to routes/scripts) is missing support right now. I guess with the JS integration in Unity we could build a sort of cross-compiler, but that's a very large endeavor. Another thing that is a bit hard is to translate user-specified shaders, as this requires another sort of cross-compiler.
>
> At this point I might add that everyone is welcome to contribute via pull-requests ;-) Also, please post specific issues with test scenes here: https://github.com/thefranke/unityx3d/issues
>
> Cheers

[...]
> Tobias Alexander Franke
>
> web: http://www.tobias-franke.eu/
> gpg: http://www.tobias-franke.eu/download/pubkey.txt

Also thank you Mitch and Anita for asking further about this - great to learn more from Tobias.

Now linked on X3D Resources under Conversions and Translation Tools:

	http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/X3dResources.html#Conversions

	http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/X3dResources.html#Unity3D

Presumably this might get pretty popular... In addition to issue requests, please feel free to share results.  All success stories and screen shots are welcome.  8)