[x3d-public] Warnock's 3D graphics database interpreter for the web and graphics cards

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Sun Jul 9 15:50:03 PDT 2017

https://books.google.com/books?id=p5ZKbdIQt2oC&pg=PT145&lpg=PT145&dq=warnock%27s+3d+language&source=bl&ots=D9_xOmV3Ke&sig=WgfkWJwVRKf-_GLMmFPea5-XHJQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjomMqKmP3UAhUp7oMKHekEAWwQ6AEIOTAE#v=onepage&q=warnock's%203d%20language&f=false

“History:

The concepts of the PostScript language were seeded in 1976 when John Warnock was working at Evans & Sutherland, a computer graphics company. At that time, John Warnock was developing an interpreter for a large three-dimensional graphics database of New York harbor.”

Does anyone know where this interpreter is documented?  Is it essentially PostScript with full 3D?  How could a language like this drive the graphics card industry (shaders, fully Turing, etc.), similar to how PostScript and PDF drove the publishing/printing industry?

Who sets the requirements for graphics cards?  Are the shading languages merely a reflection of the capabilities of graphics cards, or are the shading languages setting the standards to meet?

When will I be able to display my email on a chair, and it not be a texture?

Thanks,