[x3d-public] MFString quotes

Joe D Williams joedwil at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 15 10:46:18 PDT 2017

> For instance, in XML all attribute values must be quoted, unlike
> HTML

Yeah, so XML can be hard for X3D MFStrings. When web3d started with
X3D XML, XML didn't really know about any MF fields. MFString
equivalents are complicated when user wants legal html double and
single quotes and apostrophies in the displayed text.

X3D cannot allow the html legacy unquoted MFString and still function
as expected. So that is only the first of the reasons why X3D must
stick as close as possible to XML and XHTML rules and not allow the
the legacy htmlized unquoted string in any <x3d > ... </x3d> syntax.
Leonard has pointed to the most simple solution for simple encodings
that don't allow mulitple data strings like x3d uses for urls and
other MFString fields listing multiple strings that use coombinations
of htmllegal single or multiple quotes to enclose the MFString and
separate the individual SFStrings, and also character entities and
escaping.

So, for these string cases, like Leonard suggests, maybe allow an
optional construction that doesn't use MFString form and, if it is an
X3D MFString, then allow listing each or the the strings individually
as elements? However I might fear that is only a slippery slope to
allowing other MFfields (like translation, for instance) to be broken
up and maybe even end up with ultimate ridiculous simplications that
lose strong type checking (like translation becoming a wrapper for
individual x y z element content).

Thanks and Best,
Joe