[x3d-public] Minutes of X3D WG Open Meeting; X3D v4 XML syntax can match HTML5 design and DOM

Leonard Daly Leonard.Daly at realism.com
Wed May 17 08:03:27 PDT 2017

[This is only a response to quoting issues. I think I have included just
the appropriate responses]

My question related to my proposal. I was not proposing anything for
V3.x. I have no interest in modifying V3.x documents/standards.

My proposal was to completely resolve the problem of quoting by
eliminating it by putting elements of an array into child tags. There is
also the possibility for putting a single string (SFString) into a child
tag.

Leonard Daly

> [...]
>

>>> Attendees:  Roy Walmsley, Leonard Daly, Anita Havele, Vince
>>> Marchetti, Don Brutzman, Dick Puk, Michalis Kamburelis,
>>>
>>> Apologies received:
>>>
>>> =======================================================================================================
>>>

>>> Preliminary: *_Welcome, and introductions, as necessary_*
>>>
>>> Roy welcomed everyone. No introductions were needed.
>>>
>>> =======================================================================================================
>>>

>>> Primary discussion topic: *_SFString and MFString in the XML
>>> encoding – which quotation marks should be accepted?_*
>>>
>>> Ancillary topic: *_MFxxxx fields – use of commas as value separators_*
>>>
>>> *__*
>>>
>>> ·Introduction: Review of current and reference standards, led by the
>>> meeting chair
>>>
>>> oISO/IEC 19775-1:2013 clause 5.3.14 SFString and SFString
>>> (http://www.web3d.org/documents/specifications/19775-1/V3.3/Part01/fieldsDef.html#SFStringAndMFString)
>>>
>>> oISO/IEC 19776-2:2015 clause 5.1.2 Description
>>> (http://www.web3d.org/documents/specifications/19776-2/V3.3/Part02/EncodingOfFields.html#Description)
>>>
>>> oISO/IEC 19776-2:2015 clause 5.15 SFString and MFString
>>> (http://www.web3d.org/documents/specifications/19776-2/V3.3/Part02/EncodingOfFields.html#SFString)
>>>
>>> oISO/IEC 19776-2:2015 clause A.4 Fields
>>> (http://www.web3d.org/documents/specifications/19776-2/V3.3/Part02/grammar.html#Fields)
>>>
>>> oIntroducing JSON (http://www.json.org/)
>>>
>>> oISO/IEC 19776-1:2015 clause 5.1.2 Description
>>> (http://www.web3d.org/documents/specifications/19776-1/V3.3/Part01/EncodingOfFields.html#5.1.2)
>>>
>>> oISO/IEC 19776-1:2016 clause 5.15 SFString and MFString
>>> (http://www.web3d.org/documents/specifications/19776-1/V3.3/Part01/EncodingOfFields.html#SFString)
>>>
>>> oHTML 5.1 W3C Recommendation, 1 November 2016, clause 8.1.2.3
>>> Attributes (https://www.w3.org/TR/html/syntax.html#elements-attributes)
>>>
>>> oHTML 5.1 W3C Recommendation, 1 November 2016, clause 9.1 Writing
>>> XHTML documents
>>> (https://www.w3.org/TR/html/xhtml.html#writing-xhtml-documents)
>>>
>>> oExtensible Markup Language (XML) 1.1 W3C Recommendation 4 February
>>> 2004, clause 2.3 Common Syntactic Constructs [10] AttValue
>>> (https://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-xml11-20040204/#NT-AttValue)
>>>
>>> Roy opened the discussion with a short review of each of the above
>>> references. The reference from ISO/IEC 19775-1 did not have specific
>>> impact on the discussions. The next three references from ISO/IEC
>>> 19776-2, the Classic VRML encoding, define a string to be have
>>> double quotation marks (“), and MFStrings to be an array of strings
>>> enclosed in square brackets as array delimiters. Furthermore, an
>>> MFString with a single element does not require the square brackets.
>>> This principle, of not requiring square brackets for a single value,
>>> applies to all MFxxxx fields. The next two references, from ISO/IEC
>>> 19776-1, the XML encoding, define a string to have double quotation
>>> marks(“) and MFStrings to be an array of strings in single quotes