[x3d-public] Minutes of X3D WG Open Meeting; X3D v4 XML syntax can match HTML5 design and DOM

Joe D Williams joedwil at earthlink.net
Thu May 18 11:51:03 PDT 2017

> My proposal was to completely resolve the problem of quoting by
> eliminating it by putting elements of an array into child tags.
> There is
> also the possibility for putting a single string (SFString) into a
> child
> tag.

I hope you can see that the suggestion is very broad and far-reaching
and that your offer does not solve the problem as well as you are
thinking. Perhaps creating some examples yourself of how these and
other similar suggestions, like interpolator key time and keyvalue
data and other interfaces, like humanoid parts, for instance, would
impact the actual user code and validation steps. Or, even work on the
schema and object model to see how these docs would change.

Is your rule that short are attrs and long are elements? What about
longs that turn out to be shorts? Or, even come up with actual real
technical or authorship problems this would solve. I also see this
proposal in your submission and have to advise you to concentrate on
this detail until you can show deep backing for this particular
suggestion. Please don't wait to resolve this in your submission at

http://tools.realism.com/specification/x3d-next-generation

This is a basic syntax definition that garnered some good discussion
way back when vrml decided to become xmlized and was actually one of
the earliest decisions about the xml encoding. If you wish to keep
this re-encoding in your proposal then please do some more of the
background and foreground work required to bring this suggestion into
reality. I'm sure there are folks out there that will ask why attrs
and not elements and if there are any then we gotta find that subset
who can provide some deep evidence for the need to change.

One factor was that XML did ot allow the level of validation for
elements that we needed, so we chose attrs which could be validated in
full detail. Another might have been that we could style attr content
but not element content. While these reasons are no longer strictly
valid, all else is same so to me that is not reason to change the
encoding style.

So, please settle this with yourself, the community, and your
x3d-next-gen inputs soon because, while the topic is always on the
table, we should be able to decide on the basic encoding style and
proceed without significant further considerations or casual
commentary and suggestions that appear as simple paths through deep
structual compromises.

Thanks and Best,
Joe
If you can xml it then you can xhtml it and then you can html it.
The reverse is not necessarily true without further processing and is
the reason why the true x3d believer will choose xhtml.