[x3d-public] question on MFStrings; intermediate whitespace between SFString values in MFString list?

Michalis Kamburelis michalis.kambi at gmail.com
Sat May 20 15:08:31 PDT 2017

> Despite this minor detail the MFstring may still be (one of) the easiest of
> all to regex. Just find if the SFs are bounded right, then it is just legal
> characters and entities and escaped characters and entities. I caught
> something about newlines but newlines as a part an SF, or anywhere else
> should not be honored. text generates the newline for each SF.

See my reply in the thread about newlines a few minutes ago:) If you
think about the "Text" node "string" field, then indeed you don't need
newlines.

But there are other uses of SFString and MFString. Newlines are useful
e.g. for inlined Script and shader code (part of MFString). They can
also be used to pass custom variables to Scripts. And they work, both
X3D classic and X3D XML encodings allow it (in the latter case, it's
actually the XML specification that allows them). And existing
implementations actually do handle them:)

Regards,
Michalis