[x3d-public] question on MFStrings; intermediate whitespace between SFString values in MFString list?

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Sat May 20 16:55:08 PDT 2017

On 5/20/2017 2:59 PM, Joe D Williams wrote:
> Yes, a space is good but a comma must also work.

it does

> And in this case of MFs multiple SF quoted strings there is just no reason to reject the input due to space missing between quoted strings, just sayin' IF you format the stuff, then you may certainly choose to add a space or comma. Again, for all other MFs, each SF needs a space or comma and SFStrings in MFStrings are really a unique special case due to the bounding quotes.

i was pretty close to agreeing in theory, and strugging in practice, and grateful that Roy found the specification words which indeed require whitespace for MXL encoding.

> Despite this minor detail the MFstring may still be (one of) the easiest of all to regex. Just find if the SFs are bounded right, then it is just legal characters and entities and escaped characters and entities. I caught something about newlines but newlines as a part an SF, or anywhere else should not be honored. text generates the newline for each SF.
>
> Thanks
> Joe

i agree it will yield (they are _regular_ expressions after all) and look forward to that fine day.

for now, with Web3D 2017 Conference nearly upon us, other excellent deadlines are looming.  8)