[x3d-public] Announcing XSeen

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Mon May 29 17:34:18 PDT 2017

Interesting.  Do you need a JSON -> DOM library, or are you going with glTF or some other tool based JSON?

X3DJSONLD may work for your JSON -> DOM purposes.  It is intended to be fairly JSON encoding agnostic, and I’d like to try it with one of your scenes.  Do you have a scene in JSON?  That is, I don’t have a DOM -> JSON yet, but that’s on my near todo list, and I have a pre-alpha prototype, if X3D/X3DOM Scripts and Routes are no longer a priority.  It sounds like DOM -> JSON is higher priority…

If you do have JSON, and you are using https://github.com/coderextreme/X3DJSONLD/blob/master/src/main/node/X3DJSONLD.js ,  you will need to modify the below method to provide your own loadSchema for JSON validation, or just remove it an rely on the basic DOM validation in the browser.

I do have a version which is more packaged, found in cobweb/X3DJSONLD, here:  https://github.com/coderextreme/cobweb/blob/master/cobweb.js/cobweb/Parser/JSONParser.js in that case, you just call var dom = JSONParser.parseJavaScript(jsObj), but it creates and X3D DOM element, which may not be desired.  The code is cleaner, and you may provide an alternative to parseJavaScript…

There are also DOM -> XML serializers in X3DJSONLD (not the above JavaScript, but in src/main/node) to validate your JSON is producing the right DOM.  The serialization is fairly standard, but you may find that you need to do some substitutions, which I provide.

I will start work on DOM -> JSON again.  We do need a second implementation, and I need it for client side purposes.  Off to work!

function loadX3DJS(jsobj, path, xml, NS, loadSchema, doValidate, callback) {

	console.error("Invoking client side loader");

	loadSchema(jsobj, path, doValidate, function() {

		x3djsonNS = NS;

		var child = CreateElement('X3D', NS);

		ConvertToX3DOM(jsobj, "", child, path);

		if (typeof xml !== 'undefined' && typeof xml.push === 'function') {

			xml.push(serializeDOM(jsobj, child));

		}

		console.error("Returning with", child);

		callback(child);