[x3d-public] Announcing XSeen

Leonard Daly Leonard.Daly at realism.com
Mon May 29 16:10:45 PDT 2017

As most of you know I have been advocating that X3D fully move into the
HTML5 environment and support the display and interaction of flat-screen
and VR declarative content in the browser. A-Frame offers many of those
capabilities and was built for the browser environment.

In keeping with my advocacy of this evolution of X3D, I started
development of a library that supports comparison and definition of the
best features of A-Frame, X3D, and other capabilities. This is a very
early pre-alpha development release to help generate interest in a
discussion of the appropriate technologies to include in the 3D/VR HTML
language. The initial release is announced at
http://realism.com/blog/xseen-merging-x3d-and-frame

At this stage only a few static features are available including all 3D
pre-defined solids from  both languages plus X3D's Appearance, Material,
Shape, Transform, and Inline. It is possible to mix nodes from X3D and
A-Frame. The initial version of the library is on GitHub at
https://github.com/DrX3D/XSeen. It runs on top of THREE.js

My next step is to write the beginnings of the internals documentation
describing how to add nodes and other features. At this time there are
no capabilities for animation except for what is done directly through
THREE.

The goal of this work is to develop a language that is

 1. Standardizable
 2. Enterprise ready
 3. Fully HTML5/DOM integrated
 4. Runs in all browsers
 5. Fully support VR, AR, xR, and flat-screen displays as determined by
    the content developer and user
 6. Leverages other standards and communities applications and libraries

--
*Leonard Daly*
3D Systems & Cloud Consultant