[x3d-public] touchTime for all pointing device sensors ?

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 08:17:42 PDT 2017

As I am working on adding the touchTime field to TouchSensor in x3dom,
I am finding that it would be more natural (in x3dom) to make the
touchTime field available to all nodes with a X3DPointingDeviceSensor
base, not just X3DTouchSensor.

http://www.web3d.org/documents/specifications/19775-1/V3.3/Part01/components/pointingsensor.html#X3DPointingDeviceSensorNode

defines isActive and isOver already and touchTime can be seen as a
combination of these fields. So it feels a bit arbitrary that
touchTime is omitted here.

Was/Is there some conflict which prevents touchTime from being
considered as a drag sensor field, in addition to isOver and is Active
? There are almost certainly situations where touchTime for drag
sensors could be useful, in particular when used with event utility
nodes.

I am tempted to just add touchTime as a non-standard field to the drag
sensors in x3dom since it would actually streamline code. Could that
lead to some compliant scenes not behaving correctly ? I cannot really
imagine that it could.

-Andreas

--
Andreas Plesch