[x3d-public] Here's something worth tracking down Roy

Nicholas Polys npolys at vt.edu
Thu Oct 26 07:49:12 PDT 2017

HI all~

this is important in geo processing pipelines since tools like meshlab can
calculate normals on point clouds,
so they should be legal in the standard IMO
also

we NEED point properties or sprites for better visualization
eg
http://svn.xj3d.org/xj3d_code/trunk/parsetest/xj3d_extensions/pointsprites/

or ParticleSet

On Thu, Oct 26, 2017 at 10:04 AM, John Carlson <yottzumm at gmail.com> wrote:

> Everit validator, Roy’s schema:
>

> json-schema 3.3 Validation error org.everit.json.schema.ValidationException:
> #/X3D/Scene/-children/0/Group/-children/0/Switch/-children/0/Shape/-geometry/PointSet:
> extraneous key [-normal] is not permitted C:/x3d-code/www.web3d.org/x3d/
> content/examples/X3dForAdvancedModeling/Scanning/X3dMeshDesignPattern.json
>
> json-schema 3.3 Validation error org.everit.json.schema.ValidationException:
> #/X3D/Scene/-children/0/Group/-children/0/Switch/-children/
> 1/Shape/-geometry/IndexedLineSet: extraneous key [-normal] is not
> permitted C:/x3d-code/www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/
> X3dForAdvancedModeling/Scanning/X3dMeshDesignPattern.json
>

> Ajv reports nothing for Roy’s schema (bug?).
>

> -normal is not allowed in V3.3 for PointSet or IndexedLineSet, I think.
> They aren’t X3DComposedGeometryNode’s, and X3DGeometryNode doesn’t have
> normal in the object model.  Change the object model or the standard.
>

> I doubt if points and lines have normals, so it’s likely the example is
> wrong, and roy’s schema is right.  If they are getting normals.  I will
> report an Ajv bug.

Nicholas F. Polys, Ph.D.

Director of Visual Computing
Virginia Tech Research Computing

Affiliate Professor
Virginia Tech Department of Computer Science