[x3d-public] ProtoInstance problem in VRML97, ClassicVRML conversions fixed

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Mon Sep 4 19:36:43 PDT 2017

None of the rules are changed.  None of the XML .x3d versions or specifications
are changed.

The only change was a bugfix to remove excess output produced by XSLT conversion
stylesheet X3dToVrml97.xslt, which is used for converting XML .x3d scenes into
either VRML97 .wrl scenes or ClassicVRML .x3dv scenes.

No effect on X3DJSAIL since it doesn't use the stylesheet, rather it has
serializer outputs for .x3d .x3dv and .wrl formats.  No effect on class
hierarchy in X3D Unified Object Model.

Syntax and semantics for DEF/USE in VRML syntax are well described by the
specifications, VRML Sourcebook, etc. No change there either.

You may be thinking of the following Mantis issue, which is almost (but not yet
fully) resolved/implemented:

	19776-1 (XML) 4.3.10 ProtoInstance and fieldValue syntax -
	ProtoInstance USE requirement for name field should be removed
	http://www.web3d.org/member-only/mantis/view.php?id=1168

We should finish that one on weekly Mantis issue call this Thursday, I hope.
You are welcome to join us if you want.