[x3d-public] vrml to x3d field name changes

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 15:21:31 PDT 2018

Thanks. Ok, let's see:

On Thu, Apr 26, 2018 at 4:07 PM, Michalis Kamburelis
<michalis.kambi at gmail.com> wrote:
>> So my question is if there may be other nodes with fields which were
>> affected by renaming from vrml to x3d in such a way ?
>
> We have a mechanism "AddAlternativeName" for such cases in Castle Game
> Engine (when a field/event name changed, but the type and usage are
> 100% the same).
>
> Grepping the code, it was used for these fields/events:
>
> - Collision.collide as an alternative name (in VRML 2) for X3D
> Collision.enabled. In VRML 2.0, Collision node didn't descent from
> X3DSensorName and had special field "collide". In X3D, "enabled" is
> used for the exact same purpose.

That's ok since x3d does not also have a
CollisionSensor.(set_)collide(_changed) field.

> - LOD.level as an alternative name (in VRML 2) for X3D LOD.children
>
> - LOD.levelIndex_changed as an alternative name (in VRML 2) for X3D
> LOD.level_changed

Makes sense to introduce this non-standard vrml field. Maybe this name
should have been the official x3d field name in the first place.

> - HAnimHumanoid.humanoidBody as an alternative name (in HAnim 1.1) for
> HAnim 2 skeleton

x_ite does not implement HAnim sofar. I suppose it would only target
HAnim 2 or later.

> - Switch.choice as an alternative name (in VRML 2) for X3D Switch.children

That's ok since x3d does not also have a Switch.(set_)choice(_changed) field.

> - Polyline2D.point as an alternative name (in VRML 2) for X3D lineSegments

Hm, I could not find Polyline2D in VRML.

A global search for the .addAlias method in x_ite does not yield any
additional such node fields.

So I think it would be ok to just special case aliasing LOD.level to
LOD.children to only occur if the execution context is vrml in x_ite
although Holger may disagree.

-Andreas

--
Andreas Plesch