[x3d-public] vrml to x3d field name changes

Michalis Kamburelis michalis.kambi at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 17:53:49 PDT 2018

>> - LOD.level as an alternative name (in VRML 2) for X3D LOD.children
>>
>> - LOD.levelIndex_changed as an alternative name (in VRML 2) for X3D
>> LOD.level_changed
>
> Makes sense to introduce this non-standard vrml field. Maybe this name
> should have been the official x3d field name in the first place.

Note that in Castle Game Engine, we do *not* add alternative names
(from VRML 2) to X3D.

The "alternative name" (like "LOD.levelIndex_changed" or
"Collision.collide") is versioned, i.e. it only exists if the file
header declared exactly VRML == 2.

On the other hard, the "standard" name (like "LOD.level_changed" or
"Collision.enabled"), which equals the "name in the latest standard
version", is available in all versions. (VRML and X3D).

So in X3D you have to use "LOD.level_changed" / "Collision.enabled".
In VRML 2 you can use "LOD.levelIndex_changed", "LOD.level_changed",
"Collision.collide", "Collision.enabled". I hope this can ease a
transition VRML 2.0 -> X3D, so you can "upgrade" your VRML 2 content
to X3D in small steps.

>> - Polyline2D.point as an alternative name (in VRML 2) for X3D lineSegments
>
> Hm, I could not find Polyline2D in VRML.

It's not in the original VRML 97 specification, but it was added in
"VRML 97 Amendment 1 specification", see
http://www.web3d.org/documents/specifications/14772-1/V2.1/index.html
.

It's part of the NURBS concept (that, BTW, changed so significantly
between "VRML 97 Amendment 1 specification" -> X3D that you cannot
handle it all using a simple aliasing anyway, I mention the
differences on https://castle-engine.io/x3d_implementation_nurbs.php
).

Regards,
Michalis