[x3d-public] Plans for X3D syntax directed abstract partial scene graph editor

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 18:20:37 PDT 2018

I am preparing plans for an X3D syntax-directed abstract partial scenegraph
editor based on X3DJSAIL.  It will focus on building a scenegraph instead
of building a scene like blender does.  Thus it will be a lot like XMLSpy,
I think.

Advantages:  it’s a partial scenegraph editor, not a document editor.

It’s based on X3DJSAIL and X3DUOM and thus inherits output, input,
conversion, and validation from X3DJSAIL.

What language should it be based on?  Current choices seem to be Java,
JavaScript and Python, but C,C++,C# seems possible soon.

What GUI library should it be based on?  Swing, FengGUI seem to be front
runners in the Java world.   PyQt in the Python world, unsure in the
Nashorn world.   It would make sense to base it on SVG I think, so Lively
Kernel/GWT.  How do we unify X3DJSAIL with Lively Kernel/GWT?  Has anyone
tried to compile X3DJSAIL with GWT?

I will look a bit into SVG/GWT.