[x3d-public] X3D regular expression (regex) improvements

Michalis Kamburelis michalis.kambi at gmail.com
Sat Aug 18 05:30:42 PDT 2018

Leonard Daly <Leonard.Daly at realism.com> wrote:
> Is there any consideration for internationalization of number display. Most of Europe uses "," (comma) as the radix character (decimal separator). [See https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19455-01/806-0169/overview-9/index.html]

(I'm speaking as someone from Poland, where comma is the default
decimal separator, because of tradition. Both Linux and Windows use
comma as decimal separator by default, and various programs display
floating point numbers using this comma.)

In programming languages, we still use a dot as decimal separator, and
the dot is considered an international standard. You won't find a
single Polish programmer who tries to use comma in any programming
language:)

And in X3D, the comma is already a white-space.

I vote to keep X3D simple and consistent with all programming
languages: decimal separator is always a dot, never a comma.

See also https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal_separator  :

"""
In countries with a decimal comma, the decimal point is also common as
the "international" notation because of the influence of devices, such
as electronic calculators, which use the decimal point.
"""

Regards,
Michalis