[x3d-public] X3D Working Group meeting minutes, 17 August 2018: Specification Relationships diagram

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Sun Aug 19 18:17:13 PDT 2018

The following draft modifications have been made to

	X3D Specification Relationships diagram
	http://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3dSpecificationRelationships.png
	http://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3dSpecificationRelationships.pdf
	http://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3dSpecificationRelationships.vsd

All feedback and improvements to this draft diagram revision are welcome.

We will review again during next week's X3D Working Group teleconference, Fridays 08-0930 pacific.

	Web3D Member Teleconference Information
	http://www.web3d.org/member/teleconference-information

On 8/17/2018 10:22 AM, Don Brutzman wrote:
> Minutes for X3D Working Group weekly teleconferences
> Subject: X3D Working Group meeting minutes, 17 August 2018: ISO specifications planning, Khronos glTF, SIGGRAPH, Web3D Conferences, regexes, proto expander
[...]

> Planned changes to Specification Relationships diagram:
> - up-arrow from H-Anim to CGRM is unnecessary.
> - HAnim now has 2 parts in DIS (Architecture and Motion Animation), with Facial Animation also beginning to mature.
> - glTF file extensions are recommended as .bin (binary) and .gltf (for json) with .glb (combined).
> - no need for .x3de, rather decompressing .exi becomes .x3d (and vice versa).
> - perhaps no need for .x3dj but we can follow lead of JSON Schema (when that gets finished/approved).
> - TBD checkpoint: .x3de and .x3dj likely to be determined by MIME type, otherwise inspection of file contents must occur.
> - X3D Unified Object Model (X3DUOM) will likely become informative annex in X3D v4.0, also generated for other versions.
> - Note draft v4.0, v4.1 in X3D Architecture.
> - Still unclear is whether X3D DOM integration is part of Architecture or becomes a new file-encoding specification.
> - glTF 2.0 is final, no longer planned/proposed.

and also
- no need for .class under Java Language Binding, that is defined by Java specification
- planned compatibility with ECMAScript 6.0 (rather than 5.1)
- C, C++, C# are Planned new work items, now more mature than Proposed work in Web3D. Unshaded those boxes.