[x3d-public] [x3d] Spec Comment by on 19775-1: Abstract X3D Definitions - V3.3

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Wed Feb 28 09:53:21 PST 2018

[shifted issue discussion to x3d-public, seeking broad feedback]

Again thanks for your thoughtful submission Doug.

Mantis 1214 includes multiple StringSensor issues.  Detailed notes have been added to the issue, all feedback welcome.

This issue contains multiple suggestions. Today's initial review by specification editors follows:

http://www.web3d.org/member-only/mantis/view.php?id=1214
brutzman	(developer)

  a. OS drag+drop for copy/paste is desirable. Speech-to-text might also aid in accessibility. Specification says:

"A StringSensor node generates events as the user presses keys on the keyboard."

  Consider adding "A browser implementation may optionally support copy/paste from the system clipboard, or speech-to-text input, as enteredText and finalText values in lieu of keyboard input."

  b. Regarding "no in-scene initialization text could be copied out." Any default string value might instead be placed in the target of the StringSensor output. Thus no initial value needed for enteredText/finalText.

  c. An author might want multiple StringSensor nodes, choosing when to enable/disable each. Simultaneous operation might be desirable. Further an author can achieve "singleton" status among multiple StringSensor nodes by ROUTEing each enable field to other StringSensor nodes via a BooleanToggle node. Thus no new field such as "singleton" needs to be added.

  d. StringSensor needs to have a "description" field similar to other sensor nodes. We might further require browsers to indicate when KeySensor and StringSensor are active, further displaying the description to express author's intent. Hopefully this approach can be comparable to best practices for HTML forms.

  Improved design also needs to consider W3C accessibility guidelines, both for thoroughness and HTML compatibility.
  * WAI-ARIA Overview Web Accessibility Initiative W3C
  * https://www.w3.org/WAI/intro/aria

RFPuk	(developer)

  I suggest adding a "prompt" field which displays prompt text in an implementation-dependent manner. The prompt would appear when the node is enabled and disappear by the time the entry is completed.

  I also support a "description" field but think it can be confusing to add additional semantics to an existing (in other nodes) field that is not universally applied. In addition, the content of a description field might not be the same as the content of a "prompt".