[x3d-public] Mantis issue 1209: Tesselation of quadrilaterals and n-gons

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 18:52:11 PST 2018

On Wed, Feb 28, 2018 at 4:52 PM, Leonard Daly <Leonard.Daly at realism.com>
wrote:

> Andreas,
>
> IndexedFaceSet nodes require that the polygon that defines each face (
> http://www.web3d.org/documents/specifications/19775-1/V3.3/
> Part01/components/geometry3D.html#IndexedFaceSet) have
>
>    1. at least three non-coincident vertices;
>    2. vertices that define a planar polygon;
>    3. vertices that define a non-self-intersecting polygon.
>
> Every face must be planar (to be spec-compliant); however, certain
> applications may choose to support non-planar faces. I believe that your
> discussion is what X3DOM does when it goes beyond the definition in the
> spec. I do not disagree about your final conclusion about winding order.

The discussion covered both non-planar and planar polygons as requested.
Quads for ElevationGrids will be non-planar in most cases. I believe this
to be reason why there are specific instructions on tessellation in this
case. I did not check but suspect that in most other cases rendering of
non-planar polygons was deemed out of scope, and as such may not need
further resolution.

For the ElevationGrid node there is a paragraph (about 5th, depending on
> how things are counted) that specifically addresses the case where the
> rendering algorithm requires tessellation (probably should be
> triangulation). ["quadrilaterals are split into triangles along the seam
> starting at the initial vertex of the quadrilateral and proceeding to the
> opposite vertex"]. Note that ElevationGrid does not require planar
> quadrilaterals.
>
> Extrusion is a much more complex shape and I don't have any special
> insights to it at this time.

Extrusions have non-planar polygons in their sides if there is a twist
along the extrusion. The only instructions are:
13.3.5.3: " Corresponding vertices of the first and second cross-sections
are then connected, forming a quadrilateral polygon between each pair of
vertices."

I could look up how x3dom triangulates the sides.

-Andreas

--
Andreas Plesch
Waltham, MA 02453