[x3d-public] Proposed new Profile

Leonard Daly Leonard.Daly at realism.com
Wed Jan 24 07:55:55 PST 2018

Greg,

The intent of the model profile is just to contain model information.
Viewpoints (ortho or otherwise) and ClipPlane  is not intrinsic to the
model, and (I believe) should not be included.

ColorRGBA and Color are both included.

I intentionally left out many/most of the other items listed because I
believed that the digital content creation (DCC) tool would easily
create 2D shapes. Can you please describe how you use the 2D geometry
nodes? Is there a reason that the various Line nodes could not be used?

An issue I have with the pre-defined shapes (Box, Cylinder, Sphere,
Text, etc.) is that there are many ways to triangulate these. What one
person may consider to be a good triangulation is too course or too fine
for another and may also depend on the target device. Is triangulation
of these shapes an issue for you? Also, Text has the added disadvantage
of font management.

I did not address X3D Statements. I agree that the UNIT statement is an
important part of a model format.

Leonard Daly