[x3d-public] cubic spline, step interpolation

Leonard Daly Leonard.Daly at realism.com
Tue Jul 31 11:51:05 PDT 2018

Andreas,

I haven't had a chance to read and digest your post yet. You might wish
to take a look at the TWEEN JavaScript library. It does linear
interpolation, but has a large number of easings for the way-points.
XSeen uses this library for all animations. Docs are at
https://github.com/tweenjs/tween.js/blob/master/docs/user_guide.md.

Leonard Daly

> As I am looking to add glTF animation support for x3dom, I am
> considering convenient ways to do cubic spline and step wise
> interpolation with x3d interpolators.
> glTF has three modes of interpolation: linear, cubic spline, step.
>
> Linear corresponds to the linear interpolation of the regular x3d
> interpolators.
>
> Step produces jumps at key times, and can be represented with x3d
> interpolators also, by repeating keys. However, implementation could
> be optimized for a special step mode.
>
> Cubic spline almost corresponds to the x3d spline interpolators but
> not exactly. With glTF, the velocity derived tangent can be different
> towards and away from a key frame, while in x3d there is only a single
> velocity. Also, in glTF, the tangents are requied and part of a 3
> tuple for each frame. This makes computing the cubic spline
> interpolation straightforward and performant.
>
> So it turns out to be most convenient and efficient to forgo the x3d
> spline interpolators and instead add a mode SFString init only field
> to the regular interpolators with a 'linear' default. I currently have
> it not exposed declaratively and for use with glTF only but why not
> expose it.
>
> Such a mode field allows for optimization of step and cubic spline
> interpolation over regular, and NURBS interpolators, and allows for
> full glTF animation support.
>
> Other browsers may have similar goals but likely differing strategies
> which would be great to hear about.
>
> Any feedback or comment much welcome,
>
> Andreas
>
> -- AP on the road