[x3d-public] X3D meeting 9 May 2018: fieldOfView, C/C++/C# data bindings

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Tue May 8 10:13:12 PDT 2018

Agenda for X3D Working Group, 9 May 2018, 08-0930 pacific.

Web3D Teleconference Information
http://www.web3d.org/member/teleconference-information

1. *Web3D 2018 Conference*

Early registration deadline is Friday.  VR Hackathon registration (free) is also open.  Latest screenshot attached.

	https://web3d2018.web3d.org

2. *Summary of progress in other working groups*

http://www.web3d.org/working-groups

a. Humanoid Animation (HAnim) progress towards Draft International Specification (DIS), public review comments requested by 18 May 2018.  Weekly teleconference Wednesdays 1700-1830 pacific.

http://www.web3d.org/news-story/review-opportunity-humanoid-animation-hanim-v2-draft-international-specification-dis
https://twitter.com/Web3DConsortium/status/993891298540118016

HAnim Video Competition - Submission Deadline: May 11, 2018
Please send your submission to: competition-submissions at web3d.org.

H-Anim 3D Animated Music Video Competition​ 2018
http://www.web3d.org/h-anim-3d-animated-music-video-competition%E2%80%8B-2018

b. Design Printing Scanning progress on STEP->X3D conversions, tackling Annotations.  Weekly teleconference Thursday 08-0900 pacific.

c. Medical Working Group:  HL7 partnership activities, working on metadata and annotations.  Meetings every 2-4 weeks.

a. OrthoViewpoint fieldOfView (thread)
    http://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2018-May/008716.html

b. OrthoViewpoint fieldOfView - and display size
    http://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2018-May/008722.html

c. Mantis Issue Tracker
    http://www.web3d.org/member-only/mantis/view_all_bug_page.php

4. 2*Language Bindings for C/C++/C# Programming*

Continued from past two weeks.  Implementer engagement invited.

We will continue scrutinizing the X3D C and C++ language bindings New Work Item Proposals (NWIPs) as outlined in prior working group meeting minutes.

In particular am hoping to discuss how to encourage engagement by various implementers of X3D/VRML using C, C++ and C#.

On 4/18/2018 9:24 AM, Don Brutzman wrote:
> 2. At face value, each draft specification document for C/C++/C# looks quite thorough and well prepared, but important concerns remain.
>
> - Concern: one of the original contributors is no longer available to participate.
> - Concern: there is no plan of action outlined and no list of direct participants.
> - We could create a zip of each specification and request member review, asking for member commitment.
> - Section edit problem: duplicate prose need
> - Opportunity: several opportunities [for existing and new members to match X3D Unified Object Model progress being achieved by X3DJSONLD and X3DJSAIL implementations].

> Our report to board:  we are close but don't have consensus to submit NWIP.  Member participation is essential.  Please help.
>
> Meanwhile the working group is happy to continue helping on whatever improvements are requested.

Additions and questions welcome, plenty of progress to discuss.

Have fun with X3D!  8)