[x3d-public] X3D working group meeting minutes16 NOV 2018: X3D Semantic Web, X3Dv4

Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) brutzman at nps.edu
Fri Nov 16 10:06:11 PST 2018

0. Attendees: Anita Havele, Michalis Kamburelis, Vince Marchetti, Christophe Mouton, Nicholas Polys, Dick Puk and Don Brutzman.

	Web3D Teleconference Information
	http://www.web3d.org/member/teleconference-information

	Join the Web3D Consortium
	http://www.web3d.org/join

1. Prior meeting minutes:

	X3D Working Group meeting 9 NOV 2018: specifications review, X3D Semantic Web Working Group
	http://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2018-November/thread.html
	http://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2018-November/009566.html

Reviewed and approved.

2. X3D Semantic Web Working Group

Discuss and continue improving the draft pages, specifically charter.

* X3D Semantic Web Working Group
      http://www.web3d.org/x3d-semantic-web-working-group

* X3D Semantic Web Working Group Charter
      http://www.web3d.org/x3d-semantic-web-working-group-charter

* X3D Semantic Web Wiki
      http://www.web3d.org/member/wiki/x3d-semantic-web-wiki

Added cross-links to these sites.

Noted that editing was difficult, the Drupal portal Edit version does not look quite the same as the Publish version.
* Membership reminder sent to prospective participants
* Webmaster please edit/view inconsistencies, updating CSS or Drupal if needed to fix,
* Webmaster please ensure that Vince and Nicholas have edit permissions to first links.
* Webmaster please ensure that Christophe has access, he is having difficulty seeing it.

I have asked Leslie and Jakub to help with these pages, and to discuss our meeting intentions.

*Important*.  Can we have charter and related pages ready for Web3D Board of Directors review at the end of the month?

Christophe relayed a very interesting inquiry from Benjamin Urick who leads WG 12 T1, the team dedicated to the geometry for the STEP standard.  We have an established liaison with this group through Christophe and Vince.

	[x3d] Fwd: TR: ISO Coordination: Ontology for Geometry and Topology
	http://web3d.org/mailman/private/x3d_web3d.org/2018-November/007362.html

There will be a call Tuesday 27 or Wednesday 28.  Christophe can coordinate with Benjamin, Vince and Anita can attend as well, we hope that Jakub and Leslie can attend too (if their Web3D membership status is completed in good standing).  Don sends regrets for those dates.

3. Primary working group goal is X3D version 4.0.

	X3D Version 4.0 Development
	http://www.web3d.org/wiki/index.php/X3D_version_4.0_Development

New.  Can we propose certain parts of X3Dv4 as recommended for implementation testing by the end of the year?  Our motivation is encourage accelerated development of the most important capabilities and get them widely available for testing and demonstration.  Intended target implementations are X3DOM, X_ITE, Castle Game Engine and perhaps others.

Candidates:

a. *3D Printing and Scanning Profile*.  Addition of Point size, Point normals, possibly point sprites.  Leonard correctly notes that we need to look ASTM E57 mappability/portability as well. Anything else?

	Wikipedia E57: A file format developed by ASTM International for storing point clouds and images.

	ASTM Committee E57 on 3D Imaging Systems
	https://www.astm.org/COMMITTEE/E57.htm

	Wikipedia: Point cloud
	https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_cloud

b. *Inline support for glTF and Physically Based Rendering*.
-  Michalis notes that required, well-defined glTF lighting model implies experimental X3D lighting-model changes that correspond to).
- Vince described how we need to scope this to Shape/mesh capabilities, or possibly other glTF capabilities also e.g. Camera etc.

c. Others?  *RenderedTexture* might be easy.

	http://www.xj3d.org/extensions/render_texture.html

	TODO: Michalis will post further information

For CAD Design Printing Scanning group's arena, there is a lot of work going on with STEP.  It would be good to consider our best strategies for STEP support in 2019: encourage translators/import/export?  Best practices?  Native support in X3D?

This is a year-end opportunity to prioritize the most feasible and valuable next steps for progress.  We would publish and prioritize a "short list" of what nodes need to be implemented next.

Great discussion today!  Nicholas and Michalis each have blogs in preparation for release Real Soon Now (RSN).

We intend to proceed in this direction.  I will need help to get this properly proposed publicly by year's end.  Who is willing to lead each category?

4. Specification Updates

a. Specification Status Tracking

* X3D Graphics Standards: Specification Relationships
     http://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3dSpecificationRelationships.png

* Web3D ISO Current Specifications Timeline
     https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GdVcjQIid0Hohc_ajmepVOESy2sLtHSVvbvsFni89w8

and following a separate timeline, intending both Committee Draft and submit simultaneously with New Work Item Proposal (NWIP)

* Web3D ISO Future Specifications Timeline
      https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15KoIa-tD2dTnqIbh3A1OqL_BMc3SpyiaVNTRPhSgTX0

b. Ecmascript SAI

Dick and Don continue working to finishing 19777-1 v3.3 Draft International Specification (DIS) X3D ECMAScript Scene Access Interface (SAI).  We serve as ISO editors for Standards Committee SC24 in this regard.  Changes are visible to Web3D members at

	X3D/ISO-IEC 19777/ISO-IEC 19777-1/ISO-IEC 19777-1 V3.3/ISO-IEC 19777-1 V3.3 DIS Prep/
	https://github.com/Web3DConsortium/X3D/tree/master/ISO-IEC%2019777/ISO-IEC%2019777-1/ISO-IEC%2019777-1%20V3.3/ISO-IEC%2019777-1%20V3.3%20DIS%20Prep

We are finding that everything is in fairly close agreement with 19775 Abstract Scene Access Interface (SAI), noted some small potential changes to SAI in our notes.  We will list them in a Mantis issue so that other SAI implementations for C++/C#, Java and Python can align properly.

About to finish Clause 6.  Will have this ready for review in 1-2 weeks, members are welcome to review it now.

c. Humanoid Animation (H-Anim)

Monthly meeting minutes posted Wednesday night.

Mail from ISO to editors and SC24 stated that DIS text for v2.0 specifications of v1 Architecture and v2 Motion Animation was accepted.  A number of purely editorial comments were received.  They can be found on github.

https://github.com/Web3DConsortium/H-Anim/tree/master/ISO-IEC%2019774/ISO-IEC%2019774-1/ISO-IEC%2019774-1%20V2.0/ISO-IEC%2019774-1%20V2.0%20DIS%20Prep/Working%20documents
and
https://github.com/Web3DConsortium/H-Anim/tree/master/ISO-IEC%2019774/ISO-IEC%2019774-2/ISO-IEC%2019774-2%20V2.0/ISO-IEC%2019774-2%20V2.0%20DIS%20Prep/Working%20Documents

We are now looking at past CAESAR references and updated ISO 7250 for correlation of body positions.  Primary is recently updated Part 1, also cross-checking Parts 2 and 3

	ISO 7250-1:2017
	Basic human body measurements for technological design -- Part 1: Body measurement definitions and landmarks
	https://www.iso.org/standard/65246.html

Nicholas notes that SNOMED CT is also available, we should look at that too.  Is there someone willing to contribute effort on this topic. Hoping that this can help us with the Medical Working Group activities.  Forward progress is needed, slow and steady is good.

	SNOMED CT
	https://www.nlm.nih.gov/healthit/snomedct

"SNOMED CT is one of a suite of designated standards for use in U.S. Federal Government systems for the electronic exchange of clinical health information and is also a required standard in interoperability specifications of the U.S. Healthcare Information Technology Standards Panel. The clinical terminology is owned and maintained by SNOMED International, a not-for-profit association."

We discussed inviting HL7 Korea to the Web3D Korea Chapter meeting.

	http://www.hl7korea.or.kr

We renamed the github public archive as HumanoidAnimation for clarity, distinguishing from above member-only H-Anim archive.

	https://github.com/x3d/HumanoidAnimation

Continuing progress by Joe Williams, William Glascoe and yours truly on cross-checking Joint-Segment names and hierarchy across all 5 Levels of Articulation (LOAs) [0..4].  A few naming mismatches were found and will be resolved to ensure that the validatable skeleton is consistent at all levels.  Joe has begun work on adding the corresponding listing of Site nodes and their position offsets.

	https://github.com/x3d/HumanoidAnimation/blob/master/HAnimHierarchyWeb3d-19774-V2.0.md

d. Python.

Am trying to catch up to John Carlson and show his Pyjnius work running on my machine.  Next steps include examining candidate X3D Python SAI syntax and starting pages similar to the effort that successfully produced a working X3D JSON encoding.  Weekly teleconferences on Web3D line.  Thanks to Vince for hints and help.

5. Quotation mark escaping issues in XML encoding and all corresponding X3D representations.

Not enough time today today, when time permits we will perform a review to figure out path to full resolution.

See recent email thread, we will also try to list all relevant Mantis issues.

We did have a good discussion regarding that these are clarifications are needed, not major rework, and the challenge is to get multiple specification (X3D and elsewhere) working properly in round trip testing.... More said

Suggested New Year's Resolution: following X3D Working Group suggested priorities for implementations, we start publishing Mantis issues one-by-one for X3Dv4 improvements.

Calendar review: no meetings next Thursday and Friday in celebration of Thanksgiving in USA.

	https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanksgiving

Holiday dinner X3D models gladly accepted...  Have fun with X3D!  8)