[x3d-public] X3D working group: X3Dv4 glTF Physical Material, lighting, meshes

Michalis Kamburelis michalis.kambi at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 13:49:44 PST 2018

Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) <brutzman at nps.edu> wrote:

> 1. Michalis, thanks 1M for another set of really thoughtful implementation notes.  No doubt you have also been influenced by important related work from Andreas, Holger, Timo, Johannes and many others.

Absolutely. Thank you everyone for all the glTF information.

Andreas, in particular: the last mail showing how X3DOM internally
transforms glTF -> X3D (with PhysicalMaterial and BufferGeometry) is
*very* useful and practical, thanks a lot for this.

I am watching all the talk on the mailing lists about glTF, and I'm
updating my knowledge and opinions. It's a lot of fun to feel your
brain expanding :) I collect my knowledge on
https://github.com/michaliskambi/x3d-tests/wiki .

I must say that I share Don's excitement about focusing January on
glTF + X3D integration, including PBR in X3D. Since January I should
also have time to actually play with implementing glTF in Castle Game
Engine / view3dscene, and I'll be happy to test it all in practice.

> 2. Can we make RenderedTexture the focus for teleconference Friday 30 NOV?  Meeting goals:
> a. rough consensus on functionality,
> b. list of all related references,
> c. outline of draft specification prose,
> d. commitments to implement/evaluate in December if possible.
>
> Moderator and scribe needed (I expect to be getting on a train at that time).

Note that I will be at that time (Web3D teleconference on Friday,
November 30th) at a game conference in Barcelona. I *should* have
there Internet access and I *should* be able to attend the Web3D
teleconference, I have this time reserved. That said, forgive me in
advance if I'll have some unexpected technical difficulties at that
time.

Regards,
Michalis