[x3d-public] X3D Semantic Web Working Group proposal update

Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) brutzman at nps.edu
Sat Nov 24 11:14:42 PST 2018

Jakub and I were able to meet briefly today.  Updates and action items follow.

On 11/16/2018 10:06 AM, Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) wrote:
> 2. X3D Semantic Web Working Group
>
> Discuss and continue improving the draft pages, specifically charter.
>
> * X3D Semantic Web Working Group
>        http://www.web3d.org/x3d-semantic-web-working-group
>
> * X3D Semantic Web Working Group Charter
>        http://www.web3d.org/x3d-semantic-web-working-group-charter
>
> * X3D Semantic Web Wiki
>        http://www.web3d.org/member/wiki/x3d-semantic-web-wiki
>
> Added cross-links to these sites.
>
> Noted that editing was difficult, the Drupal portal Edit version does not look quite the same as the Publish version.
> * Membership reminder sent to prospective participants
> * Webmaster please edit/view inconsistencies, updating CSS or Drupal if needed to fix,
> * Webmaster please ensure that Vince and Nicholas have edit permissions to first links.
> * Webmaster please ensure that Christophe has access, he is having difficulty seeing it.
>
> I have asked Leslie and Jakub to help with these pages, and to discuss our meeting intentions.
>
> *Important*.  Can we have charter and related pages ready for Web3D Board of Directors review at the end of the month?

These minutes and preceding minutes (plus replies) are online at

[1] [x3d-public] X3D working group meeting minutes16 NOV 2018: X3D Semantic Web, X3Dv4
     http://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2018-November/009588.html

[2] Planning memo, X3D Semantic Web Working Group,
     19 OCT 2018, attached

[3] [x3d-public] charter points for X3D Semantics Working Group, resuming discussion
     http://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2018-November/009561.html

I have collected a number of things to further improve the working group page:

http://www.web3d.org/x3d-semantic-web-working-group
*Outcomes*
Many inter-related tasks are intended to achieve the following overall outcomes.
     Create appropriate specifications and recommended practices for Semantic X3D.
     Build suite of exemplars and tools exposed through various portals.
     Publish and deploy products based on the X3D Ontology using multiple syntax formats
         RDF/OWL, Terse RDF Triple Language (Turtle) and JSON for Linking Data (JSON-LD).

*Related Working Groups*
Web3D working groups, portals and practices that might inform, adopt and demonstrate this work include
     Design, printing and scanning: demonstrated by NIH 3D Print Exchange and X3D Model Exchange for Navy/Marine Makers.
     Heritage: archival publishing, natural history and cultural heritage exemplified by Born To Be 3D #B2B3D
     Humanoid Animation: documenting human models and animations
     Medical: electronic health records and diagnosis

*Activities*
     Collect and assemble all relevant work related to X3D metadata and ontologies.
     Collect links for relevant Semantic Web standards and approaches
     Define a comprehensive set of use cases corresponding to Web3D Working Groups
     Place notional use cases and actual examples in version control
     Compare mappings for RDF/OWL in preceding work
     Show autogeneration of RDF/OWL mappings through stylesheet adaption of X3D Unified Object Model (X3DUOM)
     List and define addition heuristics that cannot be autogenerated
     Determine whether mappings to other metadata standards are appropriate (e.g. MPEG-7)
     Etc...

*Chairs*
     Dr. Jakub Flotyński, Poznań University of Economics and Business, Poland (commitment confirmed)
     Dr. Leslie Sikos, University of South Australia (awaiting response)
     Dr. Athanasios Malamos, Technological Educational Institute (TEI) of Crete (invited)
     Dr. Don Brutzman, Naval Postgraduate School (NPS), Monterey California (commitment confirmed)

All comments and improvements welcome.

Candidate co-chairs need to agree that everything looks both satisfactory and feasible, then we can propose to Web3D Board of Directors.

Goal is proposing during next 1-2 weeks - is that still possible?  Looking forward to further progress. Thanks everyone for considering these important possibilities.